Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory(2005) vs. Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory(1971)


There is no denying the power of nostalgia when watching childhood favorites. Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory from 1971 was a magic adventure for me. Burned into my mind and psyche is the image of Gene Wilder with a cane ambling out to meet the kids at the front gate and then falling forward into a summersault before springing to his feet. Instantly Willie Wonka becomes a mystery and you know right away that you can't take anything at face value

I will also never forget when my friend Ryan asked me what I thought of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory(2005). I said, "You know, I liked it better than the original." Ryan's eyes got wide and then turned mean, "Blasphemy!". That is one of those offenses a friend will tolerate but not forget.

Gene Wilder created a Willie Wonka that uses whimsy as a tool. A man of conviction and intellect. I love how you can see in his eyes, a deep current. Johhny Depp created a Willie Wonka whose eccentricities and genius form an equation that outputs a fantastic whimsical world. It is not as engaging a performance as Gene Wilder's but I think it was more entertaining.

For an unbiased assessment of the two films I Netflixed them back to back and allowed my six year old to watch them. She liked the original, but felt that the Oompa Loompas were too weird and it was a little confusing. She enjoyed the dancing and singing in the new version and I think she identified with the kids in the new one better. Especially because the new Charlie holds his family in his heart as a treasure and so does my daughter.

Sam Beauregarde: What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Willy Wonka: Why? Are you having fun?

My wife really enjoyed Depp's attitude towards the 'brats'. Her favorite line is when Mike Teavee is berating Wonka about one of his inventions and Wonka turns to him and says, "Uh, you really shouldn’t mumble, because I can’t understand a word you’re saying."

Our house votes Charlie and the Chocolate Factory(2005), but I recommend getting Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory(1971) first and seeing them both. Either film will reach the child in you.



Available at Netflix

No comments: